Welcome One and All!!

Hi ya'll!!! Welcome and greetings from a southern cajun girl with a fun sense of humor. I hope that you will enjoy your time here and please leave comments. This blog was created for me to reflect on things I am learning and observing while working towards a Master's degree in Reading and Writing at Regis University.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Text in a Different Language

The title of the article I chose to read is Maneras Divertidas y Eficases de Leer con los Ninos. This article was taken from the Colorin Colorado website. The Spanish language is similar in print to French and English, and this enabled me to gain comprehension. I tried to read the article verbatim using my daughters high school Spanish/English dictionary. I used technology by putting some of the sentences that were in Spanish into an English translation site on the Internet. I was able to access background knowledge. The word "preescolares" in Spanish is preschoolers in English, and "primaria" in Spanish means primary in English. The spellings are similar and this was not a difficult task for me.

Vocabulary is the key to comprehension. I began with the word recognition approach to acquiring the language, but found that it was not sufficient in making the article comprehensible. I realized that I needed to use the psycho linguistic approach to assist me in my endeavors. I contacted the ESL teacher at Hope Center Ms. Liliana Macias, and she used the chalkboard. It was not my intention to have her translate the article. She gave me cues such as exaggeration of the speech, realia, and I took notes as well. She used non linguistic representations such as pictures. When I scaled back the reading assignment I was able to relax and do one thing at a time. It took many days of working on this before I could make sense of this and it gave me insight as to what ELLs must feel like in a classroom. Eventually I was successful, but I still needed help from Liliana. Research shows that pairing with a dominant language speaker assists in comprehension for the ELL. Research was incredibly accurate. The article was about fun ways to read with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment